Mona Hanna

Fantasy/romance writer Mona Hanna. I like kittens.

Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales

Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales - Nenia Campbell I thought this collection of fairy tales for adults was quite good, quite dark and clever. I must admit I didn't guess all of the fairy tales but I guessed a few. I enjoyed Clockwork Roses and Quantum Diamond the most - Clockwork Roses was beautiful and haunting, and I liked the twist on the fairy tale with that one. Quantum Diamond made me laugh and was so quick, the dialogue and the main character's thoughts so sharp, I thought it was wonderful.

I found the short stories a good length containing just what was needed, which is so important - I'm generally not a fan of short stories because they can contain too little, or not be satisfying, but these were quite good. I didn't like the last story very much - far too dark for me, but others may like that story more than me. I do wish the poems had been interspersed throughout the book, one after each story, instead of most of them at the end. I think I would have read them more carefully had they been in between the stories, and it would have been nice to have a shift after each story to something different.

All in all I liked the book, I actually read something sci-fi which is very unlike me, and I thought it was clever. Amazing cover as well. The book could have done with a little extra editing here and there to improve the flow of how some things were told, but this wasn't a huge issue. I think the author is a very talented writer, she has a brilliant imagination, and I look forward to reading more of her books.